This is the perfect soup for gardeners! Tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and your favorite backyard herbs!
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
3 cups water
1 medium zucchini chopped
1 cup diced carrot, peeled (about 3 large carrots)
1 ½ cups cooked Garbanzo Beans
3 stalks of celery chopped
1 TBS Italian Herbs (I like using 1 sprig of oregano, marjoram, bay, and rosemary)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
3 Cups crushed tomatoes (using 12 small-med tomatoes; blend 6 and chop 6)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup uncooked chopped spaghetti noodles (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion and saute for 4 minutes or until just lightly browned.
- Add water, zucchini, carrots, garbanzo beans, celery, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, tomatoes and garlic.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer on medium-low heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spaghetti noodles, cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Optional: Sprinkle with fresh parmesan cheese
Each 1/2 cup serving= 49 calories
This makes a big batch, I like to freeze the extras in baggies for a quick and healthy lunch.