Yogurt:1 2/3 cups of instant powdered milk
4 cups water
2 TBS Yogurt or Starter
- Mix powdered milk and water together in a pot and heat until bubbles begin to appear around the edges.
- Cool until temperature reaches 110-115 degrees, then add starter.
- Place in a warm place (oven on low) for 10-12 hours, or use a yogurt incubator.
- Add your favorite pureed fruit for flavoring. Start with 1/2 cup, then add to your liking.
- If tart, try adding honey or sugar.
- Refrigerate until cool.
Other uses for yogurt:
Yogurt may be used in equal parts to replace sour cream, cream cheese and mayonnaise in recipes.
Yogurt can help make a recipe healthier by replacing part of a fat with yogurt:
1/2 cup of butter: 1/4 cup of butter + 2 TBS yogurt
1 TBS Oil: 3/4 TBS yogurt
1 cup of buttermilk: 1/3 cup of milk + 2/3 cup of yogurt